Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Sick day #2

It's funny what you and your son can get done at home when you're both too sick to go to work/school, but not quite sick enough to not work your butts off!
  1. Wake up at 5:30 to see how you feel - not the greatest - Luke, yeah, he's sick too...
  2. Tell Melissa to take the Durango to work, maybe I can clear the check engine light that On-Star says has something to do with the transmission)
  3. Wait till 8:00 to call Luke's doctor - he's ok, just keep feeding the anti-biotic
  4. Hop on the internet and look up how to reset the check engine light if the malfunction condition does not exist anymore
  5. Throw Luke in the car and drive to work, stopping twice to turn engine off and then wait and waaa-laaaa! it worked! Good as new. On-Star reports no problems.
  6. Stop at CVS and pick up a few bathroom supplies we needed
  7. Go to work and leave the CTS for Melissa and pick up the Durango
  8. Go home, change oil in Durango, (realize that changing oil outside on a windy day is never good) eat lunch
  9. Leave for camper storage facility
  10. While pulling into the camper storage facility, Cadillac dealer calls to tell me the brake pads I ordered for the CTS are in. Sweet
  11. Back up the camper only to realize that the key to the reciever lock on the camper is on the key ring that Melissa has.... GRR! (was going to take camper back to house to get ready for camping this weekend)
  12. Go back up the freeway to the Caddy dealer, pick up pads
  13. Go back to work, swap cars again. Will have to wait till later to get camper... (grr... again)
  14. Go home, start working on car
  15. Feel good, brake job going well!
  16. Melissa gets home from work just in time for me to take the driver's side rotors to the auto store to get turned
  17. Pick up camper! finally! :)
  18. Go home, drop off camper
  19. Go back to auto store, pick up 1st set of rotors
  20. Go home, reinstall them and new pads and wheels
  21. Swap jack stands to passenger side, remove everything
  22. Take 2nd set of rotors to auto store.
  23. Come home, eat cold pizza (leftover lunch)
  24. Go back to auto store, pick up 2nd set of rotors (cursing the fact that I don't have 4 jack stands small enough to fit under the Caddy!
  25. Come home and reinstall 2nd set of rotors, put everything back together
  26. Change clothes, wash hands for 16th time today
  27. Take car for test drive
  28. No more squealing and shaking! gooooooooooood
  29. Come home, take shower
  30. Drink beer
  31. Sit in front of computer. Nice.


    L: Before - No rotors or calipers or pads R: After - nice shiny rotors and new pads


    L: Rear complete (notice the axle 1/2 shaft extending to the hub) R: front complete

8 comments:

Joshua said...

Holy cow, if you were well enough to do all that then you weren't sick at all!!!

Completely agree about the oil change in the wind...it blows!!

Just curious about you having to order brake pads - Is that a Caddy thing not having parts available in regular auto parts stores?

Anonymous said...

I agree with Josh, I don't think you were sick at all! #30 is very important. Nice job on the brake replacement. Have you seen the 2008 cts? Wow thats a nice looking car. I think you should trade in for that!

. said...

Where I live thats called playing hooky! Now let me forward this to your supervisor.......
No room in the garage?

. said...

And another thing, for all that driving around you'd better buy some carbon credits!! LOL

Rob, Melissa, Luke & Joel Green said...

He didn't leave me any gas in my car for the next morning when I was rushing to work almost late!

Rob, Melissa, Luke & Joel Green said...

Ok Ok, I guess now that all the finger pointing is done I can explain! I really really felt horrible in the morning, but by noonish the antibiotics must have kicked in good b/c I was off and running. Thus the break job. :) I wanted the OEM pads so I went to the dealer but they didn't have the rear ones in stock. The garage is ALMOST ready for a car to be parked in it. There are still a few boxes and things that need put away first, plus it was a nice day to be outside. Jon - I did the brake job and then last night we had 4 new tires and an alignment done. There will be no trading in for a while!

. said...

I think I need the rotors turned on my pathfinder...

Anonymous said...

Performance tires??!!