Sunday, June 08, 2008

Just the facts!

Fact #1 - I did not get stabbed in the Akihabara district of downtown Tokyo today. See FoxNews Article or the CNN article depending on your politics.

Fact #2 - I was shopping in the Akihabara district of downtown Tokyo just 2 hours prior to this whole deal going down!

Fact #3 - I got pictures of it! Although at the time I didn't know what was going on. When I got off the JR Line local subway train at the Akihabara station on my way back from the Harajuku area of Tokyo I saw 10 or more firetrucks and lots of police cars down on the street level from where I was standing on the platform. Josh sent me an email, at 2am his time asking if I was ok, that I got when I got back to my hotel around 2pm local Sunday. Here are the two pics I snapped:


You can see the truck that the crazy guy drove into the crowd in this picture.

Fact #4 - I did not find any Wii consoles to buy. I did however find many many Wii consoles but they were Japanese models that would not have worked in the US with US bought games. Bummer!

Update at 09:22pm Japan Local - the news is reporting that 6 people were killed in this attack and my prayers and sympathies go out to their families. Also thanks to the Good Lord that I am here and safe and able to return to my family!

5 comments:

Joshua said...

Glad your OK!

. said...

None of this would have happened if knives were illegal. The government needs to provide bite sized portions.

Anonymous said...

Glad you didn't get stabbed. From what I hear tokyo is a very safe city overall.

Rob, Melissa, Luke & Joel Green said...

You're totally right, Andy, if nobody had knives this would have never happened!

Jon, you're right too, Tokyo really is a very safe city. I think the reason this got so much international press shows you how out of the ordinary something like this is.

John Rumbold said...

Ok, here goes. After all, you folks started it:
Knives have purposes other than to kill. Kind of like cars and airplanes and space transport vehicles.
The only purpose of guns is to kill life forms. Yes, target practice but that is just a prelude to killing a life form.
And, "guns don't kill people, people kill people." However, it is also true that people kill people with guns. And knives and cars and space transport vehicles.
Ok, I feel better now.