Thursday, February 16, 2006

NASCAR post

I guess, personally, anything that has to do with things other than the actual driving bores me. What I mean is that all of the strategy that goes into winning a NASCAR race that isn't driving doesn't interest me. Also, b/c the cars are all, for the most part, identical, the things that happen during the race are so subtle. I need something a little more, "in your face," and "mixing it up," than that. I hate to bring back the whole "all left turns" thing, but really, it gets old for me. That's just me though. As a car guy I do appreciate the complexity and difficulty of driving a NASCAR at 180mpg, but it just doesn't do it for me. I suppose that sounds weird coming from me, as I really enjoy watching a NHRA Drag Race and that sport gets a lot of the same criticism: "they just go in straight line for 4 secs and they're done, how hard is that?" The differences are that the cars are not all the same, the engines are hand built by that specific crew and rebuilt between each run (often in less than an hour) During the race the only strategy involved is how you, the driver, can handle the 7000 hp in the engine and get that power to the ground and then shut it down again quickly. That's much more exciting to me! I guess the last difference is that it's something that anybody, no matter what kind of car you have, can do and feel the same rush the pros do. I'm sure there's some holes in my logic, but it's my opinion.

4 comments:

Joshua said...

Indeed there are holes:

“Anything other than driving bores you” – No racing circuit is just about driving…that is unless you’re driving in the Sony Playstation world.

“NASCAR cars are identical” – Each manufacturer has a NASCAR regulated body template that it has to meet, but that’s just what meets the eye. The real challenge is what’s under the hood. Who has the best engineers and engine builders to get the most HP out of the engines? Advantages in the race shop lead to advantages on the race track. Engines are also all built by hand and they too are rebuilt after every race. Any engineer should appreciate this off the track work.

“All left turns” – There are 2 NASCAR races a year on road courses…how many left turns do the NHRA boys make? 

“I need something a little more, "in your face," and "mixing it up” – NASCAR offers all kinds of in your face action, such as Pit strategy, fuel mileage, racing rivalries (good guys vs bad guys), teammates helping each other, drafting, and don’t forget the wrecks. These cars are going 190+ mph on super speedways just inches from each other – one tiny waver by a driver and you have wrecked 20 cars.

“During the race (NHRA) the only strategy involved is how you, the driver, can handle the 7000 hp in the engine and get that power to the ground and then shut it down again quickly.” – Now that’s a pretty amazing feat these guys do 4 seconds at a time, however that is what is boring to watch. Just one guy and the big clock, can’t get involved because in 4 seconds the race is over. Granted the wrecks are fierier and the cars have cool parachutes but that’s about all that I got.

“I guess the last difference is that it's something that anybody, no matter what kind of car you have, can do and feel the same rush the pros do” – I don’t think a guy in a VW beetle at Baytown is going to feel the same rush as John Force! If there were a NASCAR track around here you could take your car on it and drive around it as well. As someone that has drove around a NASCAR track (Charlotte) at around 160+ mph you as a driver have your hands full just driving the car, you might not be turning right but your car sure wants to some times. Take my experience and add 1 million levels of difficulty for actual race conditions, then you have an interesting sport!!

No matter what I type to show you my point of view I know you have your opinion and the same points that I hype NASCAR are the points you don’t like about it. It just comes down to what you like and don’t like, I’m just thankful we live in a country where we have the right to choose our motor sports!!

Anonymous said...

I hear Luke is becoming a fan...soon enough he'll be a Dale Jr. fan!!! His Aunt Lisa will make sure of it!! :)

You would probably change you mind if you watched a NASCAR race live in person...it's awesome!

Rob, Melissa, Luke & Joel Green said...

I almost want to start singing the Star Spangled Banner! It's really funny that two people who had such similar upbringings and share so many similar interests can almost point for point disagree on a motorsport! hehe Cheers to you and me, Josh!

. said...

Unfortunately the only exciting moments in NASCAR are the fiery wrecks. And the fun happens in the infield!

Gran Turismo racing is much more exciting to watch IMHO

Andrew